Friday, November 7, 2008

Last Day in Hong Kong

That Temple is Sik

Today is the last day in Hong Kong for Sean and I. We had time to kill and hours left on our 24 hour subway pass so we decided to go to Sik Sik Yuen Wong Tai Sin Temple. The extra Sik is because the place was off the hook. Ok bad joke. It's actually a popular temple in Hong Kong where Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism are practiced.

Temple Entrance



Lanterns where people were lighting incense sticks.

No idea what this was but people were standing in front of it waving incense so I'm guessing it was important.

There was one rule that had to be observed at the Temple. Don't climb the artificial rock. Regular rock climbing seemed to be cool with them.

Overall the temple was cool but Sean and I were the only non-Asians and felt like we were trespassing on sacred ground.


Nan Lian Garden

Next we moved on toNan Lian Garden which was this scenic public garden with a lot of rules. 12 to be specific. Here are some of my favorites.

No Tripods. I can't imagine what provoked them to outlaw tripods in the park but it must have been some incident for them to take such a drastic measure.


Ok, no littering is a given anywhere but I found it funny that they chose an apple core as a symbol of litter. The can I get but the apple core seems out of place.


Ok I have no idea what paddling means but they chose a picture of a kid parting the water like moses which adds zero context to the term paddling.


This one cracks me up because like the tripod, there had to be previous incidents that lead to this rule. "Charlie, we have a problem. People are bringing their stray fish and turtles to the park and letting them go". Ok, I'll call the sign maker.

Other than the stringent rules, the park was absolutely gorgeous. Here are a few pics.

Cool Pagoda
Oh yeah, there was a nunnery in the park.


Inside the nunnery. Wasn't really supposed to be taking pics but I snuck one.


The park was worth the trip, but here is where Hong Kong fools you. The park is 2 years old. Like everything in Hong Kong, it is new and build for tourists. I have yet to find history here.

Sean and I are lounging in the Dynasty Lounge which is China Airlines first class club. It is eerily quiet in here and Sean and I are the only two white dudes. 2 more hours till our first of 4 flights.

No comments: